Tuesday 5 March 2013

Gustave Courbet


Gustave Courbet

Jean Desire Gustave Courbet was born on the 10th of June 1819 and died on the 31st December 1877. Courbet was a French Painter who moved towards the realism movement in the 19th century French painting.

"I am fifty years old and I have always lived in freedom; let me end my life free; when I am dead let this be said of me: 'He belonged to no school, to no church, to no institution, to no academy, least of all to any regime except the regime of liberty." 

Courbet was a figure composition painter, and a landscapes and seascapes painter. Courbet used to look at poor people work and paint their composition. His work belonged neither to the predominant Romantic nor Neoclassical schools. Courbet always believed that the realist artists work is to capture the true image you are seeing, which by that would help erase social contradictions and imbalances.



Reference:
  • Gustave Courbet - The complete works. 2013. Gustave Courbet - The complete works. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.gustavecourbet.org/. 

No comments:

Post a Comment